Dear Reader, the Yuletide season is upon us and soon we will be awash in Christmas leftovers; roast potatoes, gravy, pigs in blankets, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sprouts and turkey. To help you prepare for this onslaught I’ve devised a turkey and vegetable lasagne that delivers all the comfort-food feelings you need when it’s dark and cold and is also a handy way to use up your Christmas leftover roast turkey (or you can use turkey mince). This recipe is also a bit lower in calories than your regular lasagne, so no need for any feelings of guilt!
Turkey mince is an utter delight to use, it’s low in calories but high in protein and it’s excellent at absorbing the flavours it’s cooked with. This turkey and vegetable lasagne is also stuffed with diced vegetables, so you and your loved ones can get some much needed nutrients during this holiday party season! This recipe makes 6-8 servings and it freezes really well, making it an ideal mid-week meal. I use a jarred béchamel sauce in this recipe to make preparation time faster.
Ingredients (all available to purchase through the links):
- Turkey mince (400-500gm)
- Low fat cheese, grated (about 100gm)
- 1 red and 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 carrots, finely sliced or diced
- 1 pepper (any colour) diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Fresh tomatoes (whatever you have leftover from salads) chopped
- Any other leftover vegetables in the fridge like celery, courgette, sprouts, all diced
- Fresh or dried basil, 1 tablespoon
- Rosemary fresh or dried, 1 tablespoon
- Oregano, fresh or dried, 1 tablespoon
- Teaspoon of chilli flakes
- Cup of red wine (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 500ml hot water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- A ball of low fat mozzarella
- A big bag of fresh spinach, washed and dried
- Lasagne sheets
- Dolmio white lasagne sauce (it’s a cheat but I’m not making my own white sauce for this, it’s cold and I’m hungry!)
Cook off your turkey mince in a little oil, making sure you break up all the lumps and set aside on paper towel to drain. In the pan you cooked the turkey in, add a little more oil and then sautée off the veggies, onions and garlic until they’re softened. Season with salt and pepper and then add the turkey mince back to the pan. Stir, then add the herbs and chill flakes. Then add the tinned tomatoes, stock cube dissolved in water, Worcester or soy sauce and the wine and the bay leaves. Leave to simmer until it starts to thicken a bit (about 15-20 minutes).
Get a large rectangular baking tray and start to layer! Start with the turkey mince sauce, then layer on the fresh spinach leaves, then the Dolmio white sauce, then the lasagne sheets. Repeat until you’ve used everything, making sure the top layer is lasagne sheets topped with the Dolmio white sauce. Then top with the shredded cheese and mozzarella.
Put the baking dish on a tray (to catch any drips if it bubbles over) and place in a preheated oven on 180c for 30-40 minutes until browning and bubbly on the top. Serve with a side salad and enjoy your turkey and vegetable lasagne!
To reheat this dish from frozen, simply put the frozen portion of lasagne in a baking dish, sprinkle with a little water to liven up the pasta and bake for 30 minutes on 180c or until hot all the way through.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Don’t forget to comment and share and let me know what you think!
Tiffany from G&J xx
Leave a Reply